Friday, March 2, 2012

To the Dentist!

Despite our efforts in brushing and flossing and avoiding excessive amounts of sugary things, Lils has a cavity. We're going to get it repaired today and I'm doing my best to pretend I'm not absolutely freaked out by the whole thing. Really? Cavities on a 5 year old?
The story is that her back teeth are growing very close and there isn't much room for saliva to get between them. It seems saliva creates some sort of barrier on the tooth that keeps them from rotting away, or something like that.
I have to wonder if it's got to do with the fluoride thing. We haven't kept her completely away from the stuff, but our town water isn't fluoridated and I don't get the supplements. I am a bit neurotic about the stuff I give my child and I admittedly do online research to learn about the vaccines and the supplements and pretty much anything that goes into her system. Sodium Fluoride is really scary if you google it. Go ahead, I dare you.
So I chose not to do the fluoride thing. Maybe that's the reason, maybe it's the teeth too close thing, or maybe it's just genetics. Weak enamel handed down through the generations. (Thanks, Dad)
Either way, she is going in for some dental work today. She's a pretty mellow kid at the dentist office, so that's something. Hopefully, it will go smoothly.

Here's a fun pic from a hygienist appointment last summer. Her friend came along for a ride in the chair. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, and where does she get the teeth too close thing? Hmmmmm!?!??

    ReplyDelete