Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Too Much to Do?

I'm pleased to be able to do all the volunteer activities I participate in. Really. It's just that I have a family and a job and a life of my own as well. And I have a hard time saying no.

When I started to get involved with the ski club, I went in with some ideas and thoughts on how things ought to run. Then I got all bossy and opened my big mouth at a few board meetings. Somewhere along the lines, they made me president. It's not what I wanted. My ideal would be to be able to come in with ideas and do some trail work and some fundraising and defer to someone else to get the hard stuff done. In my case, the "hard stuff" is organizing of any kind, working out land use permits with the state, and dealing with hiring a contractor to plow and sand the access road to our trails. Meanwhile, I'm trying real hard to make things as non-reliant on a single person as possible. That way, I can quit without taking the organization down with me.

On top of that, T and I are on another non-profit board for a long distance hiking trail that goes through our neck of the woods. It's not as time consuming as the ski club, but I found that We've worked so much on other projects this year, we didn't get out much to hike.

On Monday, Kiddo and I baked a pile of yummy treats for a bake sale to benefit the child care center's garden project. We also gave an hour of our time to selling the treats.

And I just got a message that a local group doing a free Thanksgiving dinner for the community is in need of more pies! Looks like I'll be baking again.

I do enjoy it, and am happy to help, but I do need to look at all I do and figure out a way to pare it down so I have more time for my family and my business and my own selfish stuff.

Meanwhile, there's a 17' long fully decorated parade float waiting to join a parade this Friday. More on that later.

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome. Just don't let your cape snag on anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete