Friday, September 23, 2011

Balancing Act

The little one had her first piano lesson today.

This is her first scheduled activity that she has to be at on a weekly basis.
I'm going into that phase of parenting where I want to have her be exposed to as many cool things as possible without over-scheduling her life. You've seen the parents that fail epically at that. You know, the ones that have multiple things each week for their tiny one to do. Violin, soccer, karate, art, play groups, and so on. While all those things are great for kids, some parents can over-do it.
If you think your kids may be over-scheduled, here's an article with a few helpful hints for you.
While mine is only 4, and piano is just one new activity, I can see how parents get carried away and overdo it. Whenever she shows slight interest in anything, I want to sign her up for that activity.
Personally, I'm really more a fan of free-range parenting: allowing kids enough free reign and independence to let their curiosity and imaginations flourish.
The piano teacher lives in my neighborhood, so she'll have another safe place she knows when she's a little older and roaming the 'hood on her own. Even her scheduled time is part of my greater plan to develop her independence.
So, it's about balance. A fun lesson here and there, some free time to roam and explore, and a little guidance along the way. With a little luck, she'll grow up to be a smart, well-rounded and independent woman.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder about this and I feel it's more important now that P. is in daycare. I used to grab her from daycare and we'd go here and do this... it took months before I realized that she was getting overstimulated and just wanted to chill out at home. She's too little and not of the right temperament to be ON all day. Now we mostly go home and relax. I anticipate the danger of overdoing it will continue as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete