Monday, September 26, 2011

Up the River.

Today was one of the rare days where work was slow and the weather was absolutely lovely. I had to fight the urge to go running, or on a strenuous hike. I'm just getting over a tummy bug and not interested in being sick again any time soon. So I took a drive "up the river" to see if there was any impressive foliage yet.
 Although it was a lovely drive, foliage is not quite at it's peak.
Then the low fuel light came on in my car. Meandering home, I started thinking of breakfast for dinner. Then I remembered about some wild mushrooms at a nearby state park that would be great in omelets. Yeah, my stomach is often my guide.

It was a perfect day to climb the fire tower.

 Nice view! 

And check out the fungi. We call these "puff balls." When they get all ripe and sporey, they make a green explosion. You've got to get them before the spores come in. 
 Add butter, garlic, onions, kale, fresh garden herbs and local eggs. Oh, and lots of cheese.  
Voila!
Shovel ready.

No complaints from me about having a slow day at work. The next couple of weeks will make up for it, and it can be oh so sweet to just take off and spend a little time alone every now and then. 

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm. I took a tiny bit of me time today, but probably won't be able to again til December. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fungus haul. The ones at home have started to turn.

    ReplyDelete