Thursday, September 29, 2011

Complicating Simplifying

About twice a year, I go through my house and de-clutter. Room by room, I scrutinize everything. Nothing is sacred. Often, I'll give a pile of stuff to someone who can make good use of it. A friend, a charity, etc. Sometimes, I get the bright idea that I'm going to have a yard sale and make a couple bucks off my unwanted items. This is one of those times.
I haven't accumulated very many things since the last big de-clutter, so I find myself looking at stuff we've had for years that ought to have sentimental value but really doesn't anymore. Mostly, these things were gifts that I hang on to just in case the giver of said gift happens to come along and wonder where that item went. Pretty lame, right?
Or, as is the case with a few items in today's pile, they were wedding gifts. How long is a couple supposed to hang on to the candlesticks given to them on their wedding day?
It doesn't help that my 4 year old doesn't want anything at all to go. "Mommy, that's my favorite ...[teapot, water goblet, lamp, curtain]" Never mind that she's never seen many of these items before in her life as they've been stowed away in a trunk or cupboard somewhere.
For now, I'll box it all up and leave it for my husband to sift through. No doubt he'll want to keep a few items as well...

1 comment:

  1. Sentimental clutter is the worst! It's taken me a long time to get rid of weddingy stuff, but I feel better for having done it for sure!

    I never have enough for a yard sale... I'd rather just get rid of stuff than hang out to it long enough for that.

    ReplyDelete